Sunday 20 September 2009

BAFL: BFO meets Robin Pierce

By Daniel Ferdinand

Last week I conducted an interview with London Blitz Chairman Robin Pierce (left). Coach Pierce was kind enough to answer a few questions for BFO, so here's what he had to say.

Daniel Ferdinand: Since Mark Moss became Head Coach of the London Blitz the team has enjoyed great success, can you take all the credit for the appointment?

Robin Pierce: Ahhh, a straightforward question, but the answer is more complicated. Back at the beginning of the decade, Nick Rockell, Mark, and myself were all new to the Blitz, and it was very different from the club today. Neil Bowles became the club chairman, I became the vice chairman, and Nick Rockell became the head coach after the previous one left the club. At that point, Nick asked Mark to be his defensive coordinator, and the four of us started to sort things out. The next change was Neil leaving the club because of work commitments moving him away from London. I was then elected as chairman, the post I've held ever since. Nick left five years ago, again because work took him from the London area, and I asked Mark to take over as head coach. Having worked so closely with both Nick and Mark, I knew he was the right man for the position, and I never even considered anyone else. Mark is London Blitz through and through, and if he snapped in half, London Blitz would show in the broken ends like a stick of rock!!!! As for taking the credit, yes, I do, but this club does everything by consensus, and everyone wanted Mossy to be the one, so it wasn't exactly a difficult appointment to make.


DF: I would like to talk about last season, losing the final against the Jets by 1 point must have hurt the team?

RP: It's hard to put into words how much that hurt, and to have thrown away a big lead at half time; and finally to cap it all, to hear the dismay of the whole team (I couldn't watch!!!) as that ball went through the uprights with 4 seconds left on the clock. Well, you could have ripped my heart out and not hurt me more. The trip back to London was certainly different from the previous year. Everyone on the team last year was upset, and that's been transmitted to the players that have joined the team this year, so we're united in our desire to make sure it doesn't happen this year.


DF: Can your team focus on the game and not revenge?

RP: Revenge isn't what we're about. We had to accept that last year the Jets never let their heads drop, and they executed their game plan better than we did, resulting in lifting the trophy. This year, we've been incredibly focused on doing everything to get to the final, and we've achieved that emphatically. Now we have one more game to continue to do what we do best.


DF: About this season, being undefeated, does that make you the favourites?

RP: I've seen all the comments on the websites, and the majority of the pundits have us lifting the Boston Trophy again, but those who know the game also know that that old "Any given Sunday" phrase, while it sounds like a cliché, is the ultimate truth in any sport. So we don't kid ourselves.


DF: What do you believe has been the key to the teams success in 2009?


RP: Several things have improved this year. Our defense has been remorseless, and has dominated every team it's been up against. Special Teams have continually given our offense good field position, from kick return and punt return, and often our defense has been able to start well into our opponents half of the field as a result of good kicking and punting. We've always had a good offensive capability, with great players at all the skill positions. Actually, that's a term that annoys me, as it suggests that the line players are not skilled players. To me, nothing is further from the truth; without skilled linemen, the offense would have a miserable afternoon. Great coaching has made our O Line one of the best in UK football.


DF: And finally what will it take to win at the keeptmoat?

RP: The same ruthlessness that we've shown all season, and paying attention to the coaches.

I would firstly like to thank Robin Pierce for taking the time out and answer a few questions. I honestly can't wait to see this game, I know both teams will be confident about winning. Like I say, this one will be a hum-dinger.

Follow me on Twitter for all my latest updates on all things Football from both sides on the pond and my ramblings about Fantasy Games and other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment