Sunday 13 September 2009

NFL: Opening Sunday

By Daniel Ferdinand

Okay it’s the first Sunday of the NFL season and I’m going to put my neck on the line. So here goes, The Minnesota Vikings will be Super Bowl (44TH) XLIV champions.

There you go, I’ve said it now. I fully expect the signing of Brett Favre to be the difference maker. In this post I will explain my thought process and why I believe the shoulder of Favre will stand the test of time.

The Vikings have only ever won one NFL Championship, all the way back in 1969. Last year they made the play offs losing to the Philadelphia Eagles at home in the Wild Card game.

Finally adding number 4 to the team takes pressure off the shoulders (no punt intended) of star running back Adrian Peterson. Favre gives the Vikings a better threat under centre than either Travis Jackson (who I believe will be a better player once Favre goes) and Sage Rosenfels. In turn Peterson relieves the pressure on Favre. Teams playing the Vikings this year will have to respect Favre and will not be able to put eight men (a defensive strategy, designed to stop running plays) in the box on every play. Favre also provides Head Coach Brad Childress with an option on 3rd and long.

Let’s not forget the rest of the Vikings team, their offensive line is very strong with Steve Hutchinson at left guard, being around the best in the business. At wide receiver six year veteran Bernard Berrian will be Favre’s go to guy. Favre also has first round draft pick Percy Harvin to throw too. Harvin from the University of Florida (Florida Gators) can play in multiple-positions because of his speed and open field running. Expect him to play at receiver, running back and returner this season.

On defence the Williams’ Pat and Kevin (not related) on the defensive line will be able to play the opening game (against the Cleveland Browns) after the federal appeals court blocked the NFL’s attempt to suspend the pair (for violating the league’s anti-doping policy).

So with both Williams’ playing (for now) and Jared Allen at defensive end, the Vikings should again be among the top ranked defences against the run. I’m sure teams will look to beat this defence through the air but Coach Childress should have his team prepare for this type of attack.

I have picked the Vikings because on offence they can hold on to the ball and win the battle of the clock (the time each team has possession on the ball on offence) most weeks. This will keep their very strong defence fresh and ready for battle.

We will see if I’m right come February, I really hope I am.

The Vikings are first up tonight on Sky Sports 3 the show starts at 5:30pm. I will be watch at my friends bar in South Woodford.

Follow me on Twitter for all my latest updates on all things Football from both sides on the pond and my ramblings about Fantasy Games and other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment